Bob Ingrassia

Making Progress: Doors, Windows and Crown Molding

March 2, 2014 · 113 Comments

I’ve been plugging away on the 2nd floor of our new house. I’ve wrapped up repairing and refurbishing the hardware on 11 doors, and have turned my attention to other tasks.

THE DOORS

This old house had big gaps under the bedroom doors. Why? Who knows … maybe the previous owners shaved the doors to make room for lime green shag carpeting in the 1970s.

Whatever the reason, I needed to do something about those unsightly spaces under the doors. I rip cut some 2x4s and went to town.

Before: Mind the gap!

Before: Mind the gap!

Before: Just slide that sandwich under the door!

Before: Just slide that sandwich under the door!

Giving it some good wood.

Giving it some good wood.

Putty

How do you like me now?

How do you like me now?

Done deal

Done deal

CROWN MOLDING

I’m missing the “before” photos. But imagine thin, heavily painted and ill-fitting molding. Now, after tons of mitered cutting and a swear word or two, here’s what we’ve got.

The crown.

The crown.

More crown.

More crown.

Windows

I’ve got several windows with broken sash cords. Those are the ropes attached to the sashes of old-school double hung windows — they’re attached to weights in the frame and keep the window open when you want it to stay open.

I spent some time on YouTube before gaining the confidence to give this a shot. Turned out to be fairly easy. Remove the sash trim, pull out a few screws, scrape paint off the pulley and fish the new cord through the hole. Good to go!

A heavy job!

A heavy job!

Categories: Uncategorized

113 responses so far ↓

Leave a Comment